On 10th of January 2015, World Assembly of Muslim Youth organized a round table discussion titled “Rediscovering Dakwah : The way Forward”. The round table discussion is organized in partnership with Allied Coordinating Committee of Islamic NGOs (ACCIN) and also Pusat Islam Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM). The discussion took place in Bilik Majlis, Bangunan Canselori of Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM) in Bangi.
Throughout 2013 to 2014, WAMY has conducted a study project entitled “Da’wah in Malaysia”. The study team was led by Professor Dato’ Abang Abdullah Abang Ali, chairman of the Board of Advisory for WAMY. The aim of the study was to determine the effectiveness of da’wah carried out in Malaysia in today’s modern scenario. The findings were then published as a manuscript to serve as a reference for other da’wah organisations. As a result of the findings, WAMY then took the initiative to conduct a round table discussion to share all beneficial inputs obtained throughout the study project with all key stakeholders of local da’wah organizations from both government and non-government sector. The objectives include:
- To share the findings of the study project with all key stakeholders of da’wah organizations through a moderated discussion.
- To obtain advice, reviews and recommendations of improvement of the study from experts and key stakeholders.
- To form a united strategic plan on how to utilize the findings of the study so that it will serve as a contribution to the ummah.
A total of 63 participants attended the round table discussion that include members of government and non-government da’wah organizations and institutions such as Institut Kefahaman Islam Malaysia (IKIM), Yayasan Dakwah Islamiah Malaysia (YADIM), Hidayah Centre Foundation, Malaysian Chinese Muslim Association (MACMA), Pusat Islam UKM, Kolej Univesiti Islam Antarabangsa Selangor (KUIS), Universiti Malaya, Al-Hidayah, Research And Information Centre On Islam (RICOI), JAM’IYAH, Persatuan IQRA Malaysia (PIM) and Yayasan Hashimi.
Three (3) speakers that are heads of their own respective organization have agreed to act as commentator during the round table discussion. They were each given 15 minutes to comment and provide review pertaining to the study report that they have read one week prior to the round table discussion. The three (3) invited commentators were :
- Dr Yusri bin Mohammad – Timbalan Yang Dipertuan YADIM
- Ustaz Dr Muhammad Faisal Asha’ari – Timbalan Ketua Pusat Islam UKM
- Dato’ Dr Haji Mustapha Ma – President of MACMA
The program began at 9.30 am with Ustaz Shahrin Awaludin giving his opening remark as Chairman of ACCIN. It was then followed by the presentation of the study report by Professor Dato’ Abang Abdullah Abang Ali, the principal investigator of WAMY’s study project. The third session that took place was the open discussion amongst invited representatives of government agencies and NGOs. The inputs of the discussion were recorded by 2 minute-recorders as appointed by WAMY. The final session is the resolution session whereby three (3) resolutions were made which were :
- All attending participants agreeing that the state of the Islamic ummah weakening and deteriorating.
- Members of NGOs under ACCIN to increase their da’wah resources and efforts to 50%.
- ACCIN shall initiate a special targeted da’wah project.
The discussion took place for 3 hours and 30 minutes and officially ended at 1 pm. In conclusion, there is still much to be done to improve the work of dakwah in Malaysia. It is hoped that all the study findings were conveyed successfully towards all participating members of the round table discussion. It is important for the key people of da’wah organizations to work collectively in forming a strategic plan that will impact the da’wah scene.